Have you ever walked into a room, looked around, and wondered why you have so much clutter? Do you take the time to actually ask yourself… Why am I holding on to things I didn’t even know I still had? What purpose does this serve me? Why haven’t I thrown/donated this stuff yet? Can I even bring myself to get rid of this stuff?
Well, today I am going to give you my 5 Tips on how to de-clutter your life!
1. START SMALL: Don’t think you have to go through every room in the house all at once! That is overwhelming and you will never feel like you are getting anything accomplished.
2. MAKE A PILE: As you go through the pile, hold each thing in your hand and ask yourself the following questions.
Did I know I still had this?
Have I missed this?
Will I use this in the future?
Why am I holding on to this?
3. Separate Each Item: As you decide on each item place into a two or three piles: keep and get rid of, and possible a maybe pile.
4. Be Honest: This is so important! Be honest with yourself, holding back is only hurting yourself. Physically put each item in a trash bag. The act of you putting each item in the bag makes you think about it again. It also forces it to be your choice of whether you are keeping it or donating.
5. Take them to a donation center: The items, especially clothes, you can donate should go to goodwill or a donation bin somewhere. The rest throw in the trash!
6. Have Someone With You: Have a friend, a family member, or your spouse be there with you for support and accountability! It can be a daunting task doing it by yourself so having someone there can help. Besides you can have a bit, hopefully, more fun that way!
That’s it! This can be done with anything in your home! It works as fantastic therapy too! Do it! You won’t miss those 16 pairs of jeans hiding under your bed!
Do you have other tips? Share them in the comment below! Can’t wait!